08 October 2009

Ironman 70.3 Putrajaya - Race

The race started at 8 am, quite late compared to other races i've competed in. I think it's the norm for triathlon races to start around 7 am, where as marathons usually starts way early in the morning at around 5 am.

This time i arrived around 6.30 am as i was just staying about 10 mins from the race venue, and the place was already packed with athletes and spectators.

a few places next to my bike was empty, so had plenty of spaces to put my stuff

My race gear set-up.

Did not wear a tri-suit, just wore a tri pants and a cyling jersey for the bike leg, and a running vest for the run. Much more comfortable

Good thing Zulhassan was there, being alone, i was really getting nervous and jittery.

Improved my swim time. It was in a lake, so there wasnt any current or waves.

SWIM - 46:53

start of the bike leg - was so happy to have finish the swim

There was a lot of confusion on the bike leg. We were supposed to do 3 big loops with 1 small loop at the end of each big loop. (3 big and 3 small loops).

At the end of the first big loop, a group of us missed the sign board that was supposed to tell us to go for the small loop. I think the sign was obstructed by a car or something, and even the marshal didn't tell us to make the loop. So a group of us just slowed down and talk to each other on what to do, and decided to just keep on going.

So at the end of the second big loop, i did 2 small loops, to compensate for the first big loop, and the small loop is where the timing chip markers are.

I was really pushing it on the second loop as i just felt great. But it was a wrong move as that really killed me on the final lap. I was getting cramps on my leg every time i stop pedaling.

Bike Time: 2hrs 49mins

5 mins into the run, got cramps on both of my legs and just had to stand still for a minute or two as I couldn't move at all. Couldn't even sit down.

The other athletes passing me told me to just try and walk it off, which I did and to my surprise after a few minutes of walking, it disappeared. So started running again but at a controlled pace. I think this was one of the most sakit half marathon I have ever done in my life. Kept on questioning myself why I am doing this, it was painful.

A few km to the finish, got another cramp on both legs and just sat down under a pondok for a minute. So the last few km, I was just jogging and walking to the finish line.
Run Time: 2 hrs


Total Time: 5 hrs 40 mins

So glad that's over. Another finisher's medal.

Official Results
56 6 51 Junaidi Ahmad Fathi M 25/29 BRN 0:46:53,05 2:49:51,50 2:00:15,24 5:40:52,66

Finisher's Medal and T-Shirt
(dissapointed with the quality of the t-shirt and they only had a size L for me)

After race buffet

Will come again next year kalau ramai kawan2 dari Brunei join.

4 comments:

Kevin Siah said...

Well done on your first Ironman 70.3. See you at Langkawi!

anakpanyu said...

tahniah bro. i know the feeling cramping on both legs. mentally and physically sakit.

ahmad fathi said...

Thanks Guys...

Will see you in Langkawi Kev...

PNG said...

Congrats once again. Ehh the t-shirt looks dead cheap lol